Why is Pilates so hard?
The first time you try Pilates, you may be surprised by how challenging it is. Even if you're in great shape, Pilates can be tough because it uses small, precise movements to target specific muscles. You can work out easily by doing cardio, lifting weights and doing yoga. But when you try Pilates, it's a lot harder than you thought it would be.
Why? Let's take a look at some of the reasons:
1. Pilates is different than other workouts.
Pilates is a unique form of exercise that uses small, controlled movements to target specific muscles. Most other workouts, like cardio or weightlifting, use large, sweeping motions that work for multiple muscle groups at once. Pilates is much more targeted, which means it's harder to do because you have to focus.
2. You have to use your imagination.
Pilates is a mind-body exercise, so you'll need to use your imagination to picture the movement correctly. This might be difficult because most people are unaware that it takes considerable concentration, patience, listening to your body, and connection with one's self in order to move effectively.
3. Lots of cueing- sounds like a foreign language Some instructions are simple and some are complex. You will understand more over time. It's ok if you need to try a few instructors to find the right match. In the meantime, don't be shy, and ask your teacher for clarification if you don't understand something.
4. To want a quick fix Rome wasn't built in a day, and you won't be able to fix everything at once. Make sure you take your time and enjoy the process. Pay attention to the small changes, and make sure you take baby steps so that you can maintain your progress over time.
5. You want to do everything perfectly. This is a significant paradigm shift: Keep in mind that MOVEMENT is what heals the body. We need to move, and we want our Pilates sessions to have a rhythm and flow to them, much like our daily lives. To get to the good stuff, we must be willing to do terrible Pilates for a while. This is a process, not a destination.
Remember: We do Pilates to MOVE better, so we need to move.
So if you're just starting out, don't worry if it's tough! Just keep at it and you'll see results in no time. Trust me, it's worth it.